Yesterday was Ash Wednesday. Not any Ash Wednesday, but the first one which I decided to participate in Lent.
I chose to give up meat.
Its only day 2, and I'm already going through meat withdraw. Oh, it doesn't help that we have a big steak in our fridge, nope. Anyways, I really meant to write this blog last sunday...But ya, never got to it~
--------
The Youth Preacher's topic was about if Christians shine their light, things would be so much different. How much influence you could have on someone, just by living and acting as a true Christian. I'm definitely not the best Christian... But his sermon made me remember something that happened to me while I was in Korea. Story goes like this:
It was around 11:00 pm in Suyu, Seoul. I caught a taxi driver and asked him to take me to the nearest sports equipment store. I was trying to buy a jump rope so I could exercise. The driver wasn't the nicest, but I've seen worst for cab drivers. He drove for a bit, who knows, maybe he drove further down or took a long path. In the end, more money for him.
I bought my jump rope (which snapped and broke about a week and a half later), which was the largest one they had (was still small for me). I hitched a taxi, but I forgot my Grandma's address. But lucky for me, she lived right next to a huge church. Like, its cross could be seen from miles away. I told the cab driver to take me to the church.
He looked at me funny and started driving. He asked me why I was headed there. He also asked me if I was Christian. I answered that my dad was a preacher in America. He asked me again if I, personally, were a Christian. I replied yes and we started talking about random things. While all this discussion was happening, he was going through alleys and empty ways. I thought he was trying to charge me for more by increasing the distance/time traveled. My judgments were wrong, he was doing the opposite.
We arrived at the Church faster than it took to get to the sports store. I gave him his fee, but he said it was ok. He told me that God loves me and said to love him back. I felt numb after I left the car. Taxi drivers in Korea make little to nothing, but he gave a long ride for free. Also while we were going through the alleys I told him we were going the wrong way.
idk, but what he did for me really stuck to me. Also quite possibly the only nice taxi driver I met in Korea.
fun fact: 11:43 pm, need to finish a reading guide and study for ewart's test.
CAW CAW CAW CAW
No comments:
Post a Comment