Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Religion Overdose

I am a Pastor’s kid and people have been shoving religion down my throat since I could remember. Every aspect of my life revolved around church. My dad started a church in a small, rural village in Korea so he was actively involved in not only church related things, but also community related business as well. I was sitting in AP enviro class and Mrs.BP was talking about how in some countries they would spread pesticide everywhere to bring down mosquito populations or something. Then I remembered my dad was the one who did that in our village.

The government needed a volunteer to do it so he decided to be the man. I remember riding on his motorcycle with him while the cancerous chemicals were spewed out from the back as we rode up and down hills. When I wasn’t riding with him, my friends and I would run and chase behind the fog. Its funny how I could possibly develop cancer later on because what I did as a mindless child.

Anyways, I’ve been forced to go to every church related thing with my parents from a young age. After all in a Korean church, the family has to be seen as pure and almost as if we were role models. I was dragged to adult small groups, house calls (korean pastors go to peoples houses and do an individual prayer and service with usually a sick or a person going through troubles. I thought it was odd that American pastors didn’t do anything like this.), worships, and any charity or events my parents went to. Honestly speaking, they went to a lot of fucking things.

A normal 8 year old would stay home and watch TV every day, not little ol’ me! If I misbehaved or did something to make them look bad, my mom would shoot me this lip biting thing and I knew I was in for it when I got home. I was basically raised to be (well, planned to be) a humble and well behaved servant of God. Its hilarious since thats the exact opposite of what I became.

As I entered my teens, I’ve started rebelling and sprouted strong opinions. I argued the content in the bible every now and then (when I was little, my parents made me 4 chapters or the bible every day. After we finished reading it, we reread it.) fought with my parents a lot. I was the problem child and what it seemed like should have been my share of responsibility had fallen upon the shoulders of my sister.

Oh my sister, my holy, god loving, and well, everything my parents wanted her to be. They wanted a strong, independent girl who was generous, helpful, and loved the lord. I guess in the end, they got it sort of. Around 8th grade I began to crack because of religion. I had looked after the kids in our church since 3rd grade. I repeat, 3rd grade. People should be looking after me in third fucking grade.

I started talking with a friend on FB so I kind of lost my train of thought. So I’m just going to skip the rest of the details and get to what I was going to talk about.

——————

I’m friends with a lot of other pastors kids who are very different. Its fun to see the different types of people.

1. The pastor to be: raised a christian, grew up to be a christian, and is an a perfect bible example of a morally correct and just person.

2. The socially inept: Can’t read social cues, shy, and seems a bit battered

3. The leader: strong, independent, and has tons of leadership qualities (probably since they’ve been forced into leadership roles)

4. The rebellious child: parties, drugs it up, and cares more about material goods and earthly pleasure than their religion

The type of person =/= set intelligence either. There can be dumb or smart leaders and etc.

The person is then further divided into

1. Christian

2. “Christian” (labels themselves as christian but does not act like one)

3. Aethist

4. Hates religion

——————————————-

I don’t particularly know why posted this, but its just fun analyzing different people. I mean its fascinating seeing the effect that religion has on people.

Theres actually a wikipedia page about the “PK syndrome”

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preacher’s_kid

No comments:

Post a Comment