
Dear blog-that-no-one-reads,
Today I am typing from a very special place. No, not Mars or the restroom of Leonardo Decaprio. But a magical area that has a special place in my heart. Miryang, Korea. To get down to more minute details, Go-Jung - Miryang.
This, my wonderfully nonexistant readers, is my home town. Where I grew up, where I frolicked as a little baby. This is also where my neighbour killed my dog with an axe and took the other one for soup meat. Yummy!
To be honest, it was really nostalgic to see this ol' place. My sister's best friend from her childhood years met us at the train station. (We rode to der dat fancy KTX you her) We ate mystery noodles with her (mystery as in, I have no freaking clue what it was made from) and tried to get a ride on a swan boat. That swam ran out of gas, gee wiz! Apparantly we couldn't ride the handy dandy raft boat, since there has
been a large amount of raft boat related deaths. Safety first!
Anyways since my sweet dreams of riding in a mechanical swan was bittery squashed, we went to play billiards (or is it pool? 8 ball?). I lost without shooting 1 ball in. But I did manage to shoot the black ball in twice. 0:3, I am a pro.
The lovely trio shuffled across the rural downtown area, stopping at their next destination: the only movie theater in town. Plus they only showed two films at a time, selections selections.
We chose the ever so english filled Shrek: Forever after 3D. Well, claps for false advertising since it wasn't 3D. We went home, to our old home. It felt like I was coming home, besides the fact that I looked like a fancy city folk. Our village (I guess you can call it that?...) seemed so much smaller now. Everything that seemed gigantic...All shrank, what happened? The giant hill was now a little bump, even the mountains seemed smaller.
It felt like old times. Me, my sister, and Chang-Hi (her old best friend). We used to play together every day, now we're walking around up the road that leads to our house. The old farmer that was our neighbour was still alive. He saw us and said "Well isn't that Gyeongbae, Chanyang, and Changhi." Everyone in our village knew each other. They used to see us when we we're babies. Hearing him say that, really makes you think how fast time goes. It's been 9 years since we left Korea. It feels like yesterday, I was talking to my sister about America. How it would be like, how we would go see the statue of liberty. It seems like yesterday, when I used to cry to my parents about hating USA, and telling them to mail me back to Korea. It seems like yesterday, when I hid my lunch in shame when the American Kids made fun of me because of what I ate. All the pain and intolorance we suffered as immigrants...we're back to our old home, and now I feel like a foreigner there.
I don't think I'll ever forget the next words that the farmer told us.
"A Wild Boar came down the mountains! You guys should run over there and catch it!"
No comments:
Post a Comment