Family vacations are always an awkward thing for me. Not saying I have a horrible relationship with my family, since thats not it. Its just that our family never goes on vacations. I was always jealous of the kids who went on trips to disney world, different cities, camping, beach, etc etc. It still annoys me when people whine about it. Fuck you, thats the childhood I wanted.
The Korean Church had never given my dad a vacation. The only one he got was after my mom died, no joke. Even then his vacation (1st time in korea after 10 years) only lasted 4 weeks because the church wanted him to come back. I remember every single trip I’ve been with my family. Mostly because I can actually count them with my fingers.
The first year we moved to Tallahassee (3rd grade), my parents took us to Sea World. My dad took us camping (5th grade) for a night after I told him that I really wanted to go camping for once. Apparently you have to make a reservation to get a camping spot. My dad didn’t know and neither did anyone else in my family, so that trip was a bomb. In 7th grade a close family friend visited us from Indiana. We went to Washington D.C. and traveled up the Appalachian Mountains together.
The End.
Zip.
Nothing else.
I remember getting mad at my dad when I was little. He promised me that he would take me to Disney World but told me he couldn’t a couple weeks later. I actually told him that I’ll never trust him again. It was stupidly selfish of me, I never considered that it wasn’t his choice. I’m glad my mom made me apologize to him.
ANYWAYS
So its weird going on this “family vacation” now. After all, my sister and I are both grown up. But I guess late is better than never. I’m glad he isn’t working for the Korean Church. Honestly, I hated it and I didn’t like the elders who ran it. I hope whatever church my dad ends up going to will make him happy. Oh, and they better treat him like a person, not some slave to the church.
No comments:
Post a Comment