Tuesday, January 3, 2012
Teachers
I kind of read Mrs.Bonfonti’s Blog.
I used to hate her as a teacher. I thought she was a horrible person and I used to loathe her being my instructor. Then I read something like
“I am sentimental, so I like personal gifts. One student last year drew a beautiful sketch of a magnolia blossom for me and wrote a lovely note on the back. I still have a bumper sticker one student, Christen Richardson, brought back for me from Graceland (it’s hanging on my Elvis-themed bulletin board), a wooden box little Michael Collins from Alamo, Georgia, made me his 9th grade year, a commenorative 50-cent piece Don Edwards gave me his 8th grade year, and a book of poems another precious girl gave me for Christmas. I had a lime green and orange bird house that little Jose Pecina made me ten years ago sitting in my yard until it finally fell apart. It had glitter mixed in the paint for a very ”special” effect.”
and
“Thirty-six is just a number but, as of today, it is also my age; and I am having a pretty dang hard time with it.
Honestly, I have a pretty skewed view of age, because my parents are so young. For instance, when my mom was 36, I was 18. So, yes, I feel old today.
Teaching helps. My students keep me feeling fresh and ”with it.” I know, for example, that the way to wear scarves is tied in a single knot front and center. I also know what “jeggings” are (jean/leggings) and that they are the best pants to buy in order to wear knee-high boots, the favored fashion of this season.
And I know that the ridiculous song, “I’m Sexy and I Know It,” is the latest rage. But I am also wise enough to realize that it is a rip of the infamous, “I’m Too Sexy,” from back in the day. And I also appreciate that nothing, and I mean NOTHING, is more fantastic than George Michael’s “I Want Your Sex” from his 1989 album, Faith.
I do feel blessed these days. I started the morning by getting down on my knees beside my sleeping Mason-Man and thanking my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ for my family, our health, and our prosperity. I was listening to a sermon today by a high school friend, and he made the point that if you make a mere $25,000, you are in the top tier of earners world-wide. Do I get cases of the wants? Absolutely. But I certainly need for nothing, and realizing how prosperous my family is really puts things in perspective.
Do I have gray hair? Only my stylist, Laurie, will ever know. Could I lose weight? Sure. Do I have brown spots and wrinkles? Absolutely. Has my vision waned? Yep. But I am alive and healthy and have two beautiful toddlers who keep me active.
And I have love in my life. The older I get, the more I realize that “love actually is” (to quote my favorite movie) the only thing that matters in this world.”
Shes just another person, shes not perfect. She wrote about how one day she broke down and cried because she felt like she was a bad parent, teacher, and a wife. It takes her 35 minutes to drive to and from school. The I realize she sponsors 3 clubs. I’ve always had this one sided hate for her. Shes not the best teacher, shes not the best person, but shes a genuine person. All teachers are people, I think I need to see them past their occupational roles.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment